China’s new alleged censorship policy threatening the streaming of popular foreign television series such as ‘House of Cards‘ and ‘Sherlock‘ has sparked outrage from netizens.
The Hollywood Reporter recently claimed that China has introduced a “censor first, broadcast later” policy for Chinese internet sites distributing TV series and movies such as Souku, Youku Tudou and Baidu.
Broadcasters have denied reports of tighter controls claiming that new regulations have simply been misinterpreted. A source within Sohu.com has stated that
“It has nothing to do with imported TV series, as it is mainly aimed at user-generated content, such as online dramas or short films,” the source said, on condition of anonymity
Chinese internet users aren’t too chuffed though. SCMP has revealed a Sino Weibo survey showed 95.2 per cent of nearly 120,000 users were against the tighter controls, claiming that it impinged on their freedom of choice. The other 4.8 per cent have given the policies the nod while waving their red flags, claiming that the shows “don’t suit our national sentiment.”
Shows such as ‘Modern Family’ and ‘The Walking Dead’ are amongst those at risk and the newest guilty pleasure among Chinese audiences, ‘House of Cards’ seems to be the most controversial of all, with its plot covering areas from kinky Chinese corruption scandals to China-Japan disputes.
No one really knows whether these shows will be under tighter scrutiny or not. For the time being, it’s probably best to assume otherwise and to continue enjoying Kevin Spacey being a badass while it lasts. China’s ambassador to the U.S appears to be.
By Mandy Liang