Chinese-Australian artist Guo Jian, who was detained after publicizing photos of a Tiananmen Square diorama covered in ground pork, will be deported from China, the New York Times reports, citing Australian authorities.
Guo, 52, was taken into custody last week, a day after the Financial Times published images of the replica along with an interview surrounding events of the 1989 pro-democracy movement in Tiananmen Square, in which the artist had participated.
Of the Tiananmen creation covered with 350 pounds of rotting meat, Guo told Financial Times’ Tom Mitchell: “I wanted to do something privately to mark the anniversary […] But I should have covered [the diorama] in plastic first. It would have been easier to clean up.”
Guo was one of a number of people arrested ahead of the June 4 anniversary this year, including the human rights lawyer Pu Zhiqiang and painter Chen Guang, a soldier at the time of the crackdown who has spoken publicly about the events.
The Times reports that while Chen and Pu are in jail, three others detained for attending the same event connected to Pu’s arrest were released Thursday.
Guo, a former People’s Liberation Army soldier who spent 13 years in Australia before his return to China nine years ago, was seized by officers on Sunday and held for what they said was a “visa-related matter”. They said he would be deported after 15 days of detention.
[Image via GuoJianArt.com]