The Chinese national who was kidnapped at a fish farm in Sabah, Malaysia on May 6 has been released, an official from the Chinese Embassy in Malaysia told Xinhua.
Citing Malaysian police, the official said that the Chinese national was set free by his abductors in the Philippines and has returned to Malaysia. The Malaysian inspector general of police Khalid Abu Bakar was also quoted in The Star as saying that the victim had been brought to Sandakan, Sabah and would be taken to Kuala Lumpur before being sent back to China.
The man was previously identified as Yang Zailin, a manager at a Malaysian fishing company who comes from Guizhou province.
Last month, a tourist from Shanghai was rescued after being abducted from a resort in Malaysia on April 2. Not long before her return, it was reported that another Chinese national and her daughter had been abducted from a karaoke bar in the southern Philippines, although their whereabouts are currently unknown.