A pig farm in Hezhou, Guangxi province went up in flames after 130 pigs that were playing with water in the delivery room sparked an electrical fire, leading to over 300 nursery piglets getting fried in the next room.
According to the owner, surnamed Yi, an electrical cord was hung up behind the sows. As they were splashing water around, it got into a socket with a short circuit, igniting a fire that spread from the delivery room to the nursery room where over 300 little pigs lived.
“Only a few pigs survived the fire, except a couple got burned,” Yi said.
Villagers rushed to the scene to help extinguish the fire. As the fire truck was not able to make it into the pig farm, the firefighters could only stretch a hose to put out the flames from a distance. Yi estimates that he lost about 200,000 to 300,000 yuan in damages. His last hope relies on the remaining sows who can breed more piglets.
On the plus side, bacon for days.
By Lucy Liu
[images via QQ news ]