An 18-year-old woman in Xinjiang was killed in her sleep as she was charging her iPhone 4s, Hong-Kong news outlet Ming Pao reported, with doctors concluding that she’d suffered death from electrocution.
The woman’s sister said she’d smelled burning when she returned to their home on July 24, Want China Times relays. She found her sister lying dead in her bedroom with burns across her body and a broken iPhone next to her.
Experts at the Korla branch of the Forensic Science Association of China confirmed that the woman had livor mortis across her neck, hands and leg, and concluded that she’d died from electrocution.
In a Weibo post, the victim’s sister said she’d bought the iPhone in Urumqi for 325 USD. The retailer is now discussing compensation with the victim’s family.
Last summer, a 23-year-old Xinjiang woman was reportedly killed by an electric shock from her iPhone 5 when she picked up her phone to answer a call while it was charging with a third-party charger. Not long after, a 30-year-old Beijing man fell into a coma following electric shock from an iPhone. The victim’s sister likewise blamed the charger, which wasn’t an official Apple product.
The cases prompted Apple last year to offer a “USB Power Adapter Takeback Program” that would replace counterfeit or improperly designed charging devices.
It’s unclear in the most recent case whether the victim was using a third-party charger.
[Image via Wiki Commons]