The young boy who had nearly 130 pellets removed from his face following a shooting accident was discharged from Shanghai No. 9 People’s Hospital yesterday, and he looked to be in pretty damn good shape considering, well, he had nearly 130 pellets removed from his face.
Doctors said the boy, surnamed Cai, is in stable condition and can swallow food now that all the wounds in his mouth have healed, Shanghai Daily reports.
Cai, from a village in Anhui province, was playing with his neighbors on August 19 when a 13-year-old boy brought out a hunting gun for rabbits that he’d stolen from a neighbor. Another kid accidentally fired the gun, shooting hundreds of pellets into Cai’s face.
The blast had damaged the skin and muscle on the whole right side of Cai’s face, although his right eyeball was luckily left unharmed.
Cai was rushed to the Shanghai No. 9 People’s Hospital and on August 20, doctors removed around 90 pellets from his face. After he recovered, doctors performed another operation to remove several more on August 26.
Previously, doctors said Cai faced a high risk of disfigurement. He will return to the hospital in three months so his wounds can be checked and options for facial repair surgery can be discussed.