A hawker was held by police in Guangzhou after the spiced duck necks he sold caused mild poisoning in seven customers and led to another customer being hospitalized in critical condition, reported Information Times.
After eating the poisoned food, the 24-year-old critically ill patient experienced rapid heartbeat, sweating and his tongue and lips turned purple.
A blood test showed that he was suffering from nitrite poisoning. The family was told by the doctor that he wouldn’t have survived if he’d been taken to the hospital even 10 minutes later.
At present, the young man remains in the hospital under observation but the others were discharged after emergency treatment.
According to reporters, the hawker’s workshop was extremely unsanitary and was hidden deep in the Lizhigang area. A box of salt left on the ground is believed to be the cause of the poisoning.
By Lucy Liu
[ Images via Information Times]