Protestors gathered throughout the streets of Hong Kong in the ongoing pro-democracy movement accepted talks with the government after Chief Executive CY Leung rejected their demands that he resign.
Leung and Chief Secretary Carrie Lam announced late last night that Lam would meet with the protest leaders as soon as possible, although no specific time frame was given, according to the BBC. The announcement was made just before a deadline set by protestors for Leung to step down.
“I will not resign because I have to continue with the work for elections,” Leung said yesterday, adding that if protestors were to occupy government buildings it would result in “serious consequences”.
Occupy Central had previously threatened to take over government buildings, but the group said it is willing to open dialogue with Lam, hoping that “the talks can provide a turning point in the current political stalemate”. Protestors are still insisting on Leung’s resignation, however, saying that he was “the one responsible for the stalemate”.
Meanwhile, reporters at the scene in Hong Kong said that crowds in the streets had dwindled significantly as rainstorms hit the city today. Government offices in the main protest area temporarily closed down, and staff were told to work from home as access to main roads was blocked.
Despite lighter numbers, students and volunteers are still continuing basic services like trash cleanup and recycling pic.twitter.com/rjyDKM7fHe
— Ed Flanagan (@edmundflanagan) October 3, 2014
Scuffles break out in Mong Kok as those against Occupy seize on downpour to tear down a shelter. Police intervene to break up melee.
— Philip Wen (@PhilipWen11) October 3, 2014
#OccupyCentral in tough spot right now. Raining, people at work, anti-Occupy forces emboldened. Might be a problem for remaining protesters
— Wilfred Chan (@wilfredchan) October 3, 2014
— YimouLee (@YimouLee) October 3, 2014
— Esther Pang (@essi1017) October 3, 2014