McDonald’s isn’t exactly known in China for using top quality ingredients or employing rigorous safety standards, but a branch in Chengdu broke a very basic food safety rule: don’t serve customers cockroaches in their cups.
According to Sichuan News, A woman and her daughter visited McDonald’s yesterday afternoon and ordered a cup of hot chocolate (even though it’s way too hot for hot chocolate) along with some burgers and taro pies. The mother took the first sip and found it not to her liking – a little bit too hot. So, she removed the lid to let it air out. They noticed some sort of foreign black object at the bottom of the cup, but didn’t think much of it. The mom and daughter took a few more sips.
Then curiosity got the better of the daughter and she decided to use a straw to fish out and discover the identity of the mysterious object inhabiting their hot chocolate. To their disgust, it turned out to be a dead cockroach. They both screamed and spit out the roach-flavored hot chocolate.
A McDonald’s worker said he wasn’t certain how the cockroach came to be in the cup. It is possible, he said, that it could have flown in after the woman opened the lid. Not sure that would make the situation better though.
The woman refused compensation, instead she demanded a written apology from McDonald’s. That’s not something McDonald’s is prepared to give without a full investigation. Chengdu’s FDA is now on the case.
To some, cockroach-flavored hot chocolate would be a welcome addition to the McDonald’s menu. To others, it simply wouldn’t be that big of a deal. But most of us would also react poorly.
by Alex Linder