A two-year-old boy nearly had his intestines pierced through after he swallowed a safety pin, Xinhua reported. Luckily he was sent to the emergency room in time and a doctor successfully removed the pin.
A Shenghui resident surnamed Zhang was working on house chores as her two-year-old son played alongside her on October 2. Suddenly the boy burst out crying and Zhang quickly realized that the safety pin on her bedside table was missing. She immediately took her son to the emergency room.
Doctors took the boy in for an x-ray, and discovered the pin floating inside his body, right where a pin ought not to be. The x-ray showed that the safety pin was open, with the needle’s point facing downward. The local doctor recommended that Zhang take her son to another, larger hospital located in the province for a removal procedure.
“When the child arrived to our hospital, he was already in critical condition, we needed to do the removal immediately” said the digestive department director Han Zhanbo.
A gastroscope showed that the needle was nestled about 12 inches deep inside his body. Fortunately, within 30 minutes, the doctors was able to successfully remove the safety pin.
Doctor Han also offered these words of caution: “Safety pins, coins, screws, rings, earrings, fishbone and small batteries are all items kids are most likely to swallow.”
“With some of those, you may not see an immediate effect, but once they are in the body they become very hazardous and must be taken care of immediately.”
[Image Credit: Corey Holms]