A mobile phone exploded and caught fire on a bus in Nanchong city, Sichuan province on October 4 while a female passenger was changing the battery. The bus driver quickly opened the doors of the bus and the female passenger rushed off the vehicle with her phone to extinguish the flames. No passengers were injured, Sichuan News reported.
“When I heard the sound of the explosion, I hurried to open the doors,” the driver told reporters. “She calmly held the phone and got off the bus. Then, she threw the phone at the ground and stepped on it to put out the flames.”
The passenger said she had just bought the phone and an extra battery worth 85 RMB. The phone type is unknown, but staff from the bus company warned passengers not to use shoddy batteries. The fire was believed to have been sparked by a short circuit.
Footage from the bus shows the phone battery exploding in the owner’s hand and catching fire. The other passengers were seen escaping the bus. As the incident was handled in a timely manner, no passengers on the bus were injured.
By Lucy Liu
[Video via Qiyi]