A nice Saturday in the park turned gruesome in Henan this weekend, when a 9-year-old boy reached inside a bear’s cage at the zoo and had his arm horrifically bitten off by the bear inside. The details provided by Tencent show that there is enough blame to go around.
The boy, Cong Cong, was wandering alone through the zoo section of Pingdingshan’s Hebin Park and came upon a black bear cage. He decided to feed the bear inside, hopping over the guard railing and reaching into the cage for some food.
Not satisfied with just some leftovers, the bear attacked the boy, biting his arm before he could draw it back out. The boy used all his strength to pull his arm from the bear’s jaws. He freed himself, but most of his arm stayed with the bear.
Luckily, a woman was nearby to provide what help she could, but it was minutes before a park worker finally arrived on the scene. Later, Cong Cong’s parents arrived to find their son in shock, with his arm nearly ripped completely off, and the bear still playing with the arm inside the cage.
Cong Cong was rushed to the hospital, but little could be done and his entire right arm was amputated. His parents were understandably incensed by the park’s lack of security precautions; also that no one from the park had visited their son in the hospital. The park did contribute 8,000 RMB for emergency rescue and hospital treatment.
Park authorities said that at the time of the attack, the worker responsible was on an inspection tour. When he heard the cries for help, he hurried to the scene to give first aid. Afterward, he waited until the bear was calmer and then ducked in to retrieve the arm.
The bear has since been moved to a closed room, and will not be shown to tourists. He will presumably take the blame for people’s carelessness.
[Images via Tencent]