The case of a baby girl in Shandong who was found to have 12 steel needles inserted into her body took a new turn yesterday when the child’s young aunt committed suicide by drinking pesticide.
The 26-year-old, identified as Liu Hongyun, reportedly consumed a lethal amount of phorate at her home in Liaocheng, Shandong province, Shanghai Daily reports, citing Qilu Evening News. She was rushed to the hospital upon being found, but doctors were unable to save her.
Investigators had previously spoken to Liu, the mother of a nine-month-old girl, about the 12 needles which had been discovered in the body of her 11-month-old niece, Fan Zixuan, just days before.
Fan’s parents had taken her to the hospital on October 20 after swelling red spots began appearing on her body. X-ray photos showed that 12 hypodermic and sewing needles had been inserted deep into the child’s flesh.
The child’s mother and father said they didn’t know who harmed their daughter, but told investigators that their family members and neighbors often looked after the infant when they had to work.
Fan was admitted to the Beijing Children’s Hospital on Thursday, where she will undergo several surgeries to remove all 12 needles.
The first operation will involve removing the three most life-threatening needles that are stuck in the girl’s chest. The procedure will take at least six hours to complete, according to a report form the Beijing Morning Post.
The case is still being investigated.
WKND continues this Sunday, 12.30 – 5.30pm at URBN Hotel (183 Jiaozhou Lu), with free flow Vedett beer till the keg runs out!