A young girl from Guangdong province suffered third-degree burns over 60 percent of her body after her father wrongheadedly used gasoline to clean a wound on her leg and she caught fire.
In September, the young girl had been preparing for a bath when she spilled hot water on her foot. A neighbor in the village had for some reason convinced the parents that gasoline was good for burn wounds.
Her father collected some gasoline from his scooter so that the girl’s mom could rub it on the leg. Heat from a nearby furnace then ignited the gasoline fumes, setting the young girl’s lower half ablaze.
By the time the girl’s father put out the flames, she had sustained severe burns on all four of her limbs and lower torso.
The mother suffered second-degree burns on her calf, and was able to walk again in a week. The girl, however, will need around five months recovery time until she’s able to walk again.
Watch the Tomo News video report: