Congratulations to whoever got stuck crunching numbers based on intimate apparel purchases, because they just discovered a nifty trend: women who purchase larger bra sizes tend to spend more than their small-sized compatriots. Big boobs, big money.
Dividing the total money spent into five categories (low, slightly low, middle, slightly high, and high), only 7% of B-sized women buy in either of the “high spending” categories, while C-sized women are at 17%, D-sized women are at 24%, and E-sized women take the prize at 33%.
While this data may have a reasonable explanation, like that women who can afford to buy E-cup breasts can also likely afford to go on a Taobao spending spree, Alibaba plans to use this information to inform logistics decisions and merchant interactions in the future.
But the data mining doesn’t stop at bras—besides earning the company billions in USD, Singes’ Day has provided Alibaba with a veritable treasure trove of statistical data to help the company in its quest to take over the internet/world. While some information is seemingly random and pretty worthless, like the fact that customers in land-locked Xinjiang bought the largest amount of bikinis, (“Babe, we’re taking that beach vacation this year, I promise!”) there is a lot Alibaba can glean from the Singes’ Day bonanza. Vice President of Alibaba Joseph Tsai tells Quartz, “The next step is how to leverage the e-commerce data into adjacent fields. For example, if we have a lot of data on what people purchase in terms of food, groceries, is that data going to be helpful when we do healthcare? I think so.”
While data mining is a pretty good reason to be examining the cup sizes of Taobao’s cusomers, we all know the real reason this inquiry has gone so far: Jack Ma is just a big perv.
Graph c/o Quartz
By Briel Waxman