A spark from electric welding equipment is believed to be what triggered the fire that broke out at the No. 411 Hospital in Shanghai’s Hongkou district on Wednesday.
The 20-story ward building on Sichuan Bei Road is being renovated by Hengyuan Construction Group, according to Shanghai Daily. A project manager who spoke with Shanghai Television said that the flames were ignited near the middle of the building, possibly by sparks falling from welding gear being used above. The blaze was likely fueled by bamboo boards used on scaffolding, he said.
In 2010, a massive fire ravaged a residential building in Jing’an district after the scaffolding caught fire. A total of 58 people were killed in the blaze, and the incident brought to light several cases of shady construction practices across the city.