A husband and wife in Henan province drank pesticides yesterday after they failed to waive a 30,000 yuan fine they’d received for overloading their lorry. The man died from poisoning and the woman is still being treated in the Emergency Room at a local hospital.
Zhang Gaoxing, the owner and driver of the lorry, had his vehicle detained by the Monitoring Station for Overload Transportation (MSOT) on September 27 and was ordered to pay a 30,000 yuan fine, according to reports. After two months of attempting to get his fine reduced and retrieve his lorry, he and his wife went to the MSOT office on November 24 and drank poisonous farm chemicals, resulting in Zhang’s death.
On Weibo, some users questioned why the man had been fined such an unreasonable amount, arguing that “a life is not worth 30,000RMB”. Others agreed that if drivers just started following road laws, these problems, as well as more potentially serious accidents, could be avoided.