Surgeons at Shanghai’s Xinhua Hospital recently removed an eight-centimeter-long live parasite from the brain of an 11-year-old boy after he’d experienced a seizure. His parents attribute the worm to the boy’s taste for street food, which he ate often.
The child was taken to the hospital on November 12, after he’d experienced a seizure and loss of consciousness, according to jfdaily.com. His parents believe that unsanitary or undercooked food was the cause of the parasite, as he had recently noshed on street BBQ and snake.
Doctors identified the parasitic infection as sparganosis, which can occur in humans who consume raw infected frog, snake, or small mammals. Human infection is sometimes acquired by eating raw pork, as well.
The parasite enters the body through the digestive tract and sometimes infects the eye (do yourself a favor and don’t search this in Google images), tissue or brain, which can lead to extensive brain damage.
[Image via jfdaily.com]