The North Korean army deserter who reportedly killed four people in the Chinese border town of Helong during a robbery in December has died from injuries inflicted upon him during his capture, the Chinese foreign ministry said yesterday.
The suspect had been apprehended by police immediately after the attacks were reported but he eventually succumbed to his wounds, Reuters reports, citing ministry spokesman Hong Lei.
The soldier had crossed over the border in search of food and killed the four residents at their homes before he was arrested in an area north of the Tumen River on December 28, according to Chinese and South Korean media sources. Foreign Ministry spokesman Hua Chunying said on Monday that the suspect was being held by Chinese security forces.
The Tumen River divides China and North Korea and is a common breakout route for defectors attempting to flee the latter.
[Image via asiadailywire]