Four officials were sacked and another seven will be disciplined for the New Year’s Eve stampede on the Bund that left 36 people dead and 49 more injured, according to a decision by Shanghai municipal authorities that was announced at a press conference today.
An investigative report issued by the Shanghai government today said that the stampede falls under a public security matter, and relevant authorities are to be held responsible, Xinhua reports:
Four officials — Zhou Wei, Communist Party chief of Huangpu District, his deputy Peng Song, also district governor, Zhou Zheng, deputy district governor and Huangpu’s public security chief and Chen Qi, deputy police chief of the district, were removed from their posts, according the decision of Shanghai municipal authorities.
Seven other officials in tourism, public security and urban management, received disciplinary punishments, said the decision announced Wednesday at a press conference.
A lack of public security as well as inadequate prevention and preparation for the event should be blamed, the report said. The Huangpu district public security bureau had only arranged 350 policemen to be stationed on the Bund and at Nanjing Road, not nearly enough to manage the throngs of crowds that came through that night thinking there would be a large-scale New Year’s Eve event, which was actually canceled. Publicity of the countdown event was late and insufficient, the report said.
It also suggested that the officials of the Huangpu district government who had dined at an upscale Bund restaurant hours before the deadly stampede occurred, as previous reports indicated, will be punished for violating the party’s frugality code. Several officials, including Zhou Wei, had been invited to the dinner by the chairman of the Shanghai Bund Investment Group, and stacked up a bill of around 2,700 RMB without being charged, the report said.
[Image via NetEase]