A total of 312 pigs were sadly turned to bacon at a farm in Mahu village, Feidong county of Anhui after a neighboring resident was lighting off firecrackers that sparked a blaze in the hog pen. The farm owner estimated that the fire cost him at least 40,000 RMB to 50,000 RMB in losses.
According to Feng Wenzhang, who raised the pigs for a company, the fire broke out on the eve of the lunar new year after a villager set off a string of firecrackers while visiting the grave of his ancestor adjacent to the farm, NetEase reports.
“The pig corpses need to be buried deep under the ground,” Feng told reporters.
Feng, who planned on selling the pigs in a few months, grieved over his huge loss. “I can hardly lead a good life in the coming new year,” he told reporters.
The entire pig farm was thoroughly damaged by the fire, with only a skeleton of the structure remaining.
By Lucy Liu
[Images via NetEase]