A 20-month-old toddler was running around with chopsticks at his home in Liaoning province when he tripped and jammed one of the wooden utensils in his nose.
His parents pulled out the entire chopstick, or so they thought, and rushed him to the hospital. After performing a visual check, the doctor told them that it was fine to take their son, nicknamed Hang Hang, back home.
A few days later, Hang Hang fell ill and started vomiting, Tomo News reports. He was taken to a children’s hospital where a surgeon performed a minor invasive surgery to remove the pus.
He seemed fine for a while, but it wasn’t until Hang Hang fell into a mild coma that doctors took an X-ray and discovered part of the chopstick that was still lodged into the child’s brain.
Doctors successfully removed a 2.5-inch-long piece of chopstick that had broken off and remained stuck in Hang Hang’s brain. The boy has since woken up from his coma, but doctors say his family may not know the extent of the damage until he’s older.
Back in December, a 12-year-old boy got a pair of steel chopsticks stuck into his throat as he was eating on the go and was hit by a scooter.