A 23-year-old man in Nanjing has undergone surgery to extract an 18 centimeter long BBQ skewer from his stomach which had somehow managed to stay stuck inside his intestines for over a month.
Tencent reports that the man ingested the skewer during Spring Festival, and was only begrudgingly dragged to the hospital by his disconcerted parents after weeks of (what we can only imagine to be) horrific stomach aches.
Doctors performed surgery and removed the skewer in a few minutes. The bizarre X-ray photo from the hospital shows the long skewer stuck in what looks to be a very uncomfortable position.
The man isn’t the first to tolerate a foreign object being stuck in his system for a long period. An unperturbed Chengdu man lived contentedly with a piece of chopstick lodged in his eye socket for 9 months.