Doctors found 10 tiny protein stones embedded in a Zhejiang woman’s corneas after she wore the same pair of contacts for a month.
According to Tomo News, the woman had purchased a cheap pair of circle lenses, soft-lens contacts used to make the irises of the eyes look larger, and wore them for a month without changing them out for new ones.
After experiencing itchiness and pain in her eyes, the woman went to the hospital, where doctors found protein deposits attached to her corneas which needed to be scraped off with a needle. Eeeeuuuh.
A similar case happened last year with a young woman in Taiwan, whose corneas were eaten away by amoebae after she wore the same pair of disposable contact lenses for half a year.
Doctors suggest that people using daily disposable contact lenses replace them with a fresh pair every day, and further warn that people wearing contact lenses while showering, swimming or playing by the beach could be vulnerable to cornea-eating amoebae. The microscopic amoebae can cause long-term damage or blindness.
Also, please don’t buy the cheapest pair of “big eye” contacts off of Taobao.