A 10-year-old boy who was left with extensive scarring on his face after a burn accident six years ago has been offered free treatment by doctors at the Shanghai Huamei Plastic Surgery Hospital.
Zhang Hao was four years old when he’d accidentally released gas from a canister and sparked a fire that injured both him and his grandfather. His family sold all of their possessions to cover Zhang’s costly medical treatment. His mother left the family one year after the accident.
Now, doctors have offered to treat Zhang for free and help diminish the appearance of the scars covering most of his face, which have impaired his facial movement.
“It will be a long process as multiple surgeries are required around his mouth and nose,” Dr. Zheng Quan said in a Shanghai Daily report. “Laser therapy will be used to soften the scars.”
The treatment should help improve the child’s facial development, according to doctors.
[Image via Shanghai Daily]