For some reason, the Beijing branch of the Communist Youth League needed to conduct a survey in order to find out that Beijing undergraduate university students enjoy the internet and sleeping more than all other things.
Some 75% of the 8,143 undergrads surveyed answered very truthfully that wasting time on the internet was one of their favorite extracurricular activities. Meanwhile, a mere 35% went with sleeping as one of their favorites, and 28% chose talking to other human beings. Ah, those were the days!
The students continued with their lying ways on other questions in the survey as well. Only 32% admitted to feeling under some pressure due to their studies, with just 3% saying that they couldn’t bear the pressure any more.
The survey also found that between sleeping and surfing, undergraduates have found the time to be super optimistic about the current job market! Perhaps a bit overly optimistic as there was a 2,000RMB gap between their expected monthly salaries post-graduation (6,668RMB) and how much it’s actually going to be (4,746RMB), according to People’s Daily, via China Daily.
Around 83% of the students relied on family support to pay for school and extracurricular activities (The other 17% had to get creative). Luckily, sleeping and browsing the internet all day doesn’t exactly break the bank. Students reported that they spend an average of just 1,481RMB each month.
Chinese students have also been able to save on time by simply enjoying their favorite hobbies during class time, employing extremely creative methods of concealment in the process.
Back in 2013, we reported on how it seemed like Shanghai high school students also weren’t being entirely truthful when they took part in a survey about their attitudes toward sex. Meanwhile, for this official survey, for whatever reason, sex didn’t even rank as one of the students’ favorite pastimes!
by Alex Linder
[Images via China Daily]