Authorities in a Jilin province town bordering North Korea have confirmed that three villagers were killed there last week after reports said that three men crossed the border in North Korean military uniforms and carried out the crime before fleeing.
South Korea’s national broadcaster Korean Broadcasting System had reported on Tuesday that the three murder suspects were soldiers who had fled North Korea. It said they had entered the small village on Friday afternoon and killed three Chinese villagers before escaping.
The propaganda department in Shilong confirmed in a statement on its social media account that a 67-year-old man, 55-year-old man and his 26-year-old daughter had been murdered and that public security officials at city, prefecture and provincial level were investigating the case. A report in China Daily, however, said that authorities had not verified media reports identifying the suspects as North Korean army deserters.
The motive behind the murders are still unknown.
On December 28, a defector from the North Korean army shot four villagers to death during a robbery in the Chinese border town of Helong. China in January lodged a formal complaint with North Korea.