A Chinese man died of alcohol poisoning after participating in a rather extreme drinking contest in Henan province.
Wang Qiang took part in the contest back in July with a friend in the city of Luoyang. According to China Daily, both men said that they felt “weird” after the competitive binge-drinking session.
Wang’s friend regained consciousness after being sent to the hospital, but Wang himself was not so lucky.
As a result, Wang’s family filed a lawsuit against the Henan Alcohol Association, the Henan Alcohol Association Luoyang Office and Luoyang Siyue Trade Co. Ltd., for organizing the event that led to Wang’s death.
The district court of Luoyang ruled that the organizers should pay 447,642.36 yuan to the family. However, it is not clear whether the defendants will appeal.
The Chinese tradition of binge-drinking continues to prevail even with many other cases of excessive alcohol consumption highlighting its obvious negative consequences such as the suspended official in Heilongjiang or the 16 year-old girl who died after a night of drinking last week in the company of county officials.
Stay away from alcohol kids!
By Sharon Choi
[Image via Flickr]