Around 40 students from Luoshan Middle School in Pudong were rushed to the hospital yesterday with suspected food poisoning, with two students said to be in critical condition.
According to Shanghai Daily, the disease control and education authorities have stepped in to investigate the incident which has seen students being treated for vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache and other symptoms associated with food poisoning.
One of the unlucky students, 15-year-old Xing Xiao, told Shanghai Daily that he had eaten noodles, bean curd and pork chop at the school canteen on Tuesday. After falling ill during the night, his parents rushed him to the hospital where he was diagnosed with gastroenteritis and put on saline drips.
The parents, suspecting that a bad piece of watermelon he’d eaten after dinner had caused the illness, called the school in the morning to arrange sick leave, at which point they were told to take Xing to hospital if he was unwell. “I soon found out that some of my classmates were also sick and had similar symptoms. They were taken to the Gongli Hospital,” Xing said.
After presumably being shut down by the authorities, students yesterday had to get by on a lunch of bread instead of meals cooked at the school’s canteen. Hopefully it wasn’t supplied from this bakery chain, where last December a mouse was spotted running rampant across display items.
By Dominic Jackson