A seven-year-old boy had to be rushed to the hospital after getting electrocuted from urinating on an electrical substation in Shaanxi province.
The boy’s father, surnamed Fang, told reporters that his son, Hao Hao, came to visit him in Xi’an. While waiting for the bus to return to Lantian county, Hao Hao urgently needed to go to the bathroom. He saw a nearby structure and walked towards it, thinking it was a public toilet.
The “toilet” was actually a 10,000-volt electrical substation covered by a piece of ragged cloth, similar to curtains around a window.
Around two minutes after Hao Hao walked off, Fang heard crackling noises and saw smoke coming from his son’s direction. By the time he’d gotten to Hao Hao, he was lying inside the substation, partially on fire.
After ripping off his son’s clothes, Fang waved for a nearby taxi to pick them up. The taxi driver, surnamed He, drove through four red lights to get Hao Hao to the hospital before it was too late.
The child is still in critical condition and suffered from high-voltage burns all over his body. Hao Hao’s left arm muscles and nerves have been severely damaged, and the limb needed to be amputated.
“We come from a village. My son must have thought it uncivilised to pee by the roadside in a city. But at his age, how could he have known that it was a substation?” Fang said when speaking with local media.
The incident is under police investigation.
By Sharon Choi
[Images via Sina // Youku]