A man was arrested this morning after injecting tetramine, a substance used in rat poison, into paper cartons of Wanglaoji (王老吉) at four supermarkets in Dongguan. One person was killed and four others hospitalized after consuming the tainted liquids.
Two of the victims, a woman surnamed Xu and her brother, drank two cartons of Wanglaoji from a local convenience store yesterday afternoon and experienced vomiting, nauseousness and seizures. The two were both sent to the emergency room and are still in critical condition.
Later that night, a married couple experienced similar symptoms after drinking paper cartons of Wanglaoji from another store in Dongguan, and were also sent to the hospital. The same night, police received a call from a woman who reported seeing a homeless man lying on the ground, motionless. When the police and ambulances arrived, medics confirmed that the man was dead. Next to him was a green carton of Wanglaoji.
A 44-year-old man surnamed Gu from Liaoning province was detained and later admitted to poisoning the drinks because he was “fed up” with society. The city has removed Wanglaoji cartons from stores and is now investigating other paper carton drinks as well.
[Images via Junying//Chinadaily]
By Sharon Choi