The scene of the poisoning.
A 12-year-old boy is suspected to have fatally poisoned two young sisters in a Hunan province village.
According to the Associated Press, the unidentified boy told police that he gave the girls cola that he had laced with poison. The sisters, aged eight and 14, collapsed as they were walking home from school on Wednesday. They were bleeding from their mouths and had stopped breathing by the time they were rushed to the hospital.
The sisters were reported to have died from Tetramine poisoning. Three months ago in a rural part of Shandong, a six-year-old boy was killed by the same toxic substance, used for rat poisoning, after eating a piece of candy he’d found outside.
The case has again raised concern over the well-being of young children in rural China, following a tragic incident from last week in which four “left behind” siblings committed suicide by drinking pesticide.
[image via daliulian.org]