Nearly a month after a brief nude photo shoot scandalized one of China’s landmark historical attractions, the Palace Museum held a press conference on Tuesday to announce that it had completed its “investigation” of the incident.
It seems that investigators were quite thorough. Shan Jixiang, director of the Palace Museum at the Forbidden City, told the press the museum collected evidence from 20 sets of cameras completely exposing the perverted photographer’s plot: From buying tickets, to getting naked, to taking photos. Shan added that the evidence has now been given to the proper authorities for further investigation.
According to People’s Daily, China’s public security law stipulates that those who “molest others or purposefully appear naked in public” may be subject to five to ten days in jail.
Featuring a panty-less woman straddling the head of an ancient marble dragon, photos from the shoot caused a bit of a stir when they hit Weibo on May 17. The photographer Wang Dong, who goes by the moniker “WANIMAL” (NSFW), has repeatedly insisted that the photo shoot was an act of pure artistic creation that did not affect anyone else.
Earlier this month, the Palace Museum said it didn’t initially address the issue because it didn’t want to “hype up” the situation and draw attention to the images. Apparently, that’s no longer a concern.
Shan reminded visitors that the Forbidden City is a “sacred place” where people should act morally in order to protect the cultural heritage site’s dignity. “We very much welcome artists from all over the world to make artistic creations,” Shan said. “But the indecent photo shoots not only go against social morality, order and good customs, but also harm the relics and the dignity of the cultural heritage. This should be condemned by all society.”
He further commented that the Forbidden City has completed 75 percent of its work to install an “all-seeing eye monitor system” comprised of 2,100 sets of cameras covering every corner of the grounds. Earlier this week, the Palace Museum also launched a temporary initiative to cap the number of daily visitors at a more manageable 80,000.
With these measures in place, never again will the Palace Museum be humiliated by missing out on a raunchy photo shoot (or at the very least they’ll have more camera angles at their disposal next time to aid in identification and investigation).
by Alex Linder
[Images via Weibo]