Local residents and charity organizations raised over 200,000 yuan in donations for a 25-year-old who become a local hero after going door-to-door to alert his neighbors during a fire in his Shanghai apartment building, ultimately sustaining burns over 80 percent of his body.
Minhang District’s Huacao Town government also pitched in another 200,000 yuan to cover Wang Haibin’s medical costs at Ruijin Hospital, according to Shanghai Daily.
Wang, who also suffered serious injuries from smoke inhalation, will undergo his first skin-transplant operation tomorrow. The total costs of his medical treatment will add up to around one million yuan, according to a hospital official.
The fire broke out in the early hours of June 16 at the residential building where Wang’s family lived. Upon spotting the smoke, Wang alerted his family then ran in his bare feet to wake up other residents and alert them as well. He suffered most of his 1st-degree burns when he went down the stairs and tried to open the gate on the first floor.
All other tenants were safely evacuated.
“He ran out of the apartment without even looking back!” Wang’s grandmother told reporters. “I told him it was dangerous to go running around during the fire but he didn’t listen to me.”
“I can’t imagine how the kid handled the pain,” Wang’s neighbor said. “I got burned just by touching the handrail of the stairs.”
Immediately after the incident, Wang’s neighbors set up a donation fund and collected over 7,000 yuan.
Both of Wang’s parents are staying in the hospital with him.
By Maggie Wong