Police in Beijing have arrested five people linked to
The one-minute video clip was uploaded to the messaging app WeChat last Tuesday night and by the next day had become a top trending topic on Weibo, China’s popular microblogging platform, with over 2.5 million searches and posts.
China’s internet regulator, which said the video had “violated core socialist values”, last week summoned officials from the country’s two internet giants, Sina and Tencent, after the footage spread online.
China Daily reports that five people are now being held in connection to the production of the sex video, including the man and woman who appeared in it (seemingly squashing rumors circulating online that the latter had committed suicide).
Police are now probing the unidentified person who uploaded the video online, and they still have not ruled out the clothing brand’s involvement in what has been suspected to be an elaborately orchestrated publicity stunt.
“The police investigation has two main parts: who published this unsavory video, and was it an example of hype by the business,” Beijing Television said.
The very family-friendly store denied that it was behind the video, and in a statement to its Weibo account last Wednesday asked customers to “obey social ethics and safeguard social justice, and use the fitting rooms provided by Uniqlo stores correctly and properly.”
Uniqlo could face charges from 200,000 yuan to one million yuan and have its license revoked for spreading pornography if it were found to be involved, according to a lawyer cited in the China Daily report.