A 23-year-old woman was electrocuted by an ATM in Xi’an, Shaanxi last Saturday. The electric shock had broken two of her finger nails, leaving her fingers bloodied.
The woman, surnamed Liu, was withdrawing money from an ATM machine at China Everbright Bank (CEB). As she was entering her PIN number, she felt a surge of electricity being transmitted from her hand to her body.
Her entire arm was numbed by the high voltage, she said. The pain sent Liu to the floor as she realized the fingernails of her right thumb and ring finger were broken and bloody. She was admitted to a local clinic where they bandaged up her wounds.
Later she filed a complaint with CEB customer service and reported her missing card, which was swallowed by the ATM. CEB staff have since apologized to Liu and sent her to the hospital for further examination. Meanwhile, they have also promised to perform inspections on their ATM machines.
Local reporters visited the bank and measured the current of the ATM. It was found that the ATM was charged with 200 V, which is way over the 36 V limit bearable by human bodies.
The said ATM machine is already out of service and investigations are underway.
By Crystal Lau
[Images via China Daily]