Today in utter incompetence involving IVs: a woman in Henan mistakenly gave her mother washing powder by intravenous drip as treatment for tendovaginitis. The elderly woman is now being treated in the hospital.
The woman’s mother, surnamed Young, was receiving intravenous infusions on July 17 at a clinic in Pingdingshan, Henan when her daughter, Xiao-yue, suggested that they take the remaining fluid home for self-injection, as the clinic was too hot.
Upon finishing the first bottle of the fluid, Xiao-yue switched to a new bottle. Shortly after the infusion began, however, Young felt a shooting pain in her arm. Not wanting to waste the “medicine”, Young continued hanging onto the IV drip until she received the whole 100-ml bottle.
At that moment, Xiao-yue discovered the mishap. As it turns out, the bottle of medical fluid had long been used up, and the children had poured washing powder and water inside to make bubbles.
Most hospitals didn’t dare handle the case, but Young was eventually sent to the First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Science and Technology and has been receiving treatment in the emergency unit for several days.
Nevertheless, the family had already spent all their savings on the medical expenses. They’re expected to pay another 300,000 yuan for the following few months’ rehabilitation, adding a huge financial burden to the family.
Young said she doesn’t place the blame on her daughter. Those kids though…
By Joyce Ng
[Images via Sina News]