The number of Chinese tourists confirmed to have been killed in the blast that hit Bangkok’s Erawan Shrine on Monday night has climbed to seven, including five mainlanders and two people from Hong Kong, the Chinese embassy said on Wednesday.
The number was revised after one Chinese tourist previously labeled as missing was confirmed dead, Xinhua reports.
Among the Chinese fatalities was a 38-year-old man from Shanghai whose identity was not revealed.
According to recent updates, 19 people from the mainland, five from Hong Kong and two from Taiwan are still receiving treatment in hospitals after being injured in the bomb blast.
Police are now searching for a “foreign” man who was seen on CCTV footage leaving his backpack behind at the site of the explosion just minutes before it occurred.
“He had white skin and must have been a European or have mixed blood, perhaps with Middle Eastern blood,” police spokesman Prawut Thawornsiri said in a statement.
Police have extended a 1 million baht award for any information leading to the man’s arrest.
Over 20 people were killed in the blast that ripped through the popular tourist area in the heart of the Thai capital.
[Image via Xinhua]