Areas of Beijing were shut down earlier this morning and yesterday afternoon to make room for a large-scale rehearsal for the much-hyped September 3rd military parade to commemorate the 70th anniversary of China’s victory in the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression. Judging by all the men marching, flag waving and colored smoke, it’s going to be an absolutely fabulous affair.
According to Beijing Evening News, more than 10,000 officials and soldiers along with some 500 military vehicles and nearly 200 aircraft made an appearance at the much-photographed practice parade.
Also, foreign troops from more than ten nations that fought in World War II are scheduled to attend the parade.
At least 35,000 people turned out to watch the rehearsal on Tiananmen Square. It was held on the weekend to avoid too much inconveniencing locals with the occasional tank driving down the street.
The rehearsal went both “smooth and orderly” and achieved all the expected results, officials said. The parade situation is excellent!
The military parade will mark the 70th anniversary of the victory of the Chinese People’s War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression. Workers across China will also get a three-day holiday from September 3 to September 5 this year to mark the anniversary.
To prepare for the victory parade, Beijing has issued a temporary traffic ban from August 20 to September 3,
Still, not everybody in Beijing is excited about the parade.
Gob-smacked. Have just been barred from leaving my home because of Beijing military parade rehearsal. Told can't leave until noon tomorrow
— Tom Phillips (@tomphillipsin) August 22, 2015
I wish our media had shown some of the cynicism/skepticism they're bringing to this Chinese parade during the parade to war in Iraq…
— Matthew Sheehan (@mattsheehan88) August 23, 2015
You can watch some clips of the rehearsal here:
By Lucy Liu