Doctors at a hospital in Yangzhou, Jiangsu province recently extracted a 15-centimeter long spoon from a woman’s stomach after she swallowed the utensil while eating noodles.
The 27-year-old woman, surnamed Wang, claimed that the spoon managed to slip down her throat as she was apparently inhaling a bowl of noodles for lunch on August 30, according to Xinhua.
Hospital staff seemed somewhat skeptical about her reasoning, as the spoon appeared too large to be swallowed by accident. Wang refused to go into detail about how exactly the spoon got to be there, however, and hospital staff decided to focus instead on how to get it out.
Doctors attempted to remove the spoon by using a long medical instrument to fish it from her stomach. In similar instances, this had been done within a matter of minutes, but doctors had difficulty this time around due to the positioning of the utensil.
Fortunately after two hours, they managed to carefully pull the spoon out of her stomach without any internal damage.
I’ve learned plenty of things writing for Shanghaiist the past couple of years, but these few lessons may be the most invaluable:
1. Don’t run with chopsticks
2: Refrain from sticking eels up anyone’s anus, even as a joke
And last: Drink soup slowly
[Image via Yangtse.com]