Rush-hour passengers on Hong Kong’s MTR suffered a fright when a loose screw managed to jam the escalator mechanism, with one passenger claiming that he was one step away from being “swallowed alive.”
According to the South China Morning Post, the incident took place on the morning of September 17 at Quarry Bay station.
The accident was for one commuter too much of an unwelcome flashback to the horror which took place in July, when a woman named Xiang Liujuan was crushed to death by machinery underneath an escalator while shopping at a mall in Hubei province.
One passenger posted on Facebook: “It’s like just one step away or I could have been swallowed alive.” He said there was a loud “bang” when his ride on the escalator connecting the Tseung Kwan O line and the Island line platforms was almost finished.
An MTR spokeswoman said a “foreign” 1.5-inch screw from an unknown source got stuck between steps and the combs at about 9.20am. A safety device brought the escalator to a halt.
With yet another escalator related story making headlines, it appears the epidemic of Chinese escalator malfunctions shows absolutely no sign of abating. A mere two days ago a three-year-old girl somehow managed to get her arm trapped inside an escalator at a supermarket in Chongqing.
Please ride carefully, but don’t be silly.
By Dominic Jackson
[Image via South China Morning Post]