85 remain missing a day after the collapse of a pile of excavated soil and construction waste which had accumulated over two years near industrial parks on the outskirts of Shenzhen.
According to NetEase, the landslide engulfed 33 buildings as it swept through an area full of factories and industrial parks on the outskirts of the Guangdong metropolis. Residents blamed the government while officials cited human error. “The pile was too big, the pile was too steep, leading to instability and collapse,” said an official.
This evening buildings in Shenzhen have been lit up to show messages of solidarity for the victims of the landslide and those involved in the rescue operations. As of yet no deaths have been reported,
The landslide is the fourth major disaster to strike China in a year following a deadly New Year’s Eve stampede in Shanghai, the capsizing of a cruise ship in the Yangtze River and a massive explosion at a chemicals warehouse in Tianjin.
Human error has been either suspected or confirmed of playing a factor in all three of the previous disasters, revealing a disregard for human life in spite of regulations which carry the threat of harsh penalties.
The Ministry of Land and Resources said a steep man-made mountain of dirt, cement chunks and other construction waste had been piled up against a 100-meter (330-foot) -high hill over the past two years. Heavy rains in the region made the soil unstable, ultimately causing it to collapse.
— CCTVNEWS (@cctvnews) December 21, 2015
[Images via NetEase]