From rude Chinese tourists to hunky Taiwanese bean curd sellers, a look back on our most popular stories from the last year:
10) Sex tape filmed in Beijing UNIQLO dressing room goes viral
In what was likely the most viral video of 2015, a couple filmed themselves having sex in the fitting room of a Beijing Uniqlo shop. After being uploaded onto WeChat, the video quickly became the top trending topic everywhere.
9) 79-year-old model outshines all others at China Fashion Week
Actor Wang Deshun, 79, walked the runway during China Fashion Week in Beijing on Wednesday looking remarkably better than many of the younger models with whom he shared the stage.
These cars are in my way, I guess I'll just move them away.
Posted by Shanghaiist on Sunday, May 31, 2015
8) Chinese tourist spotted taking a dump outside Burberry store in the UK
Outside a Burberry shop on the outskirts of Oxford, a kid from China being cradled by his grandmother caused quite a stir after being photographed defecating on the street.
7) Northern VS southern Chinese girlfriends
This popular episode from Shanghai-based sketch group TMD plays out some of the stereotypical differences between Chinese gals from the north and from the south.
Why pandas are endangered.
Posted by Shanghaiist on Sunday, October 18, 2015
6) 15 year-old-girl undergoes extensive plastic surgery, becomes internet celebrity
An underage girl from Henan who posted pictures online following an extensive bout of plastic surgery became an instant internet celebrity, with netizens remarking that she is “too beautiful to look at.”
5) Thai celebrity pushed around by queue-cutting Chinese tourists at Jeju airport, goes on epic rant
A vicious two minute rant by Thai celebrity Duangjai Phichitamphon about the unruly behavior of Chinese tourists at a Korean airport went viral in March, sparking furious online debate and condemnation by the media in Thailand.
4) Women going gaga over “Taiwan’s hottest bean curd seller”
Forget everything you thought you knew about bean curd shop employees (which, we’re sure, was a lot). With his handsome face, bulging biceps and six-pack abs, this particular worker looks more fit for a fashion magazine. In fact, here are his hunky modelling shots.
Harvesting like a boss.
Posted by Shanghaiist on Tuesday, December 8, 2015
3) Steel cable causes “supernatural” accident that you have to see to believe
We have seen a lot of accidents over the years, but never one quite like this.
2) Remember this picture? It’s given the female model 3 years of hell. Now she’s suing.
In a press conference in Taipei in October, Taiwanese model Heidi Yeh tearfully told the media that since this picture went viral, jobs had dried up for her both in Taiwan and overseas.
Watch these 3 bad-ass firefighters scale a wall together in 7 seconds.
Posted by Shanghaiist on Saturday, August 22, 2015
1) “Hong Kong is not China”: Artist’s illustrations go viral
This controversial series of images seeking to explain the difference between Hong Kong and mainland China went viral back in July, stirring up much heated debate about the truth behind the illustrations.
WE LEAVE YOU WITH THIS…
Just a pair of… sirens.// via @youtiao666: https://instagram.com/p/9vl1YiFAf3/
Posted by Shanghaiist on Saturday, November 14, 2015