We all know that Chinese internet cafes can be dangerous places, but now it appears you are even putting your life at risk while unhooking your phone.
Last Friday night, an 18-year-old factory worker named Xiong Xuan was killed in a freak accident as he attempted to unplug his mobile phone cable from a computer at an internet cafe in Wuhan.
According a report by the Chutian Metropolis Daily, Xiong’s brother was in the seat beside him when the accident happened. He told reporters that Xiong said that he was going to get some food and reached down to take his cell phone with him.
“When he tried to pull the cord out, he got shocked and cried out. Then he touched it again and his foot hit the steel pipe underneath the desk,” his brother explained.
He could only watch as his brother fell limp to the ground and started foaming at the mouth. An ambulance arrived to rush Xiong to the hospital, but he was pronounced dead on the way.
An investigation is underway into the tragic incident, and the internet cafe has had its license suspended.
This isn’t the first time that someone has been killed by their mobile phone in China. A couple of years ago, there were separate reports about women being electrocuted to death by charging iPhones. However, these reports seem to have done little to drive down demand.
[Images via Chutian Metropolis Daily]