Were you starting to let your guard down while riding the escalator? Well, not anymore.
Yesterday morning, an elderly man was riding an escalator up to the second floor of a Shenzhen supermarket when the machine suddenly tried to devour him. According to NetEase, one of the escalator steps simply gave way, sending the man’s left leg into the gap where it got horrifically twisted.
Rescue workers rushed to the scene to find the man in shock and his left leg stuck firmly inside the machinery. Carefully, they used tools to widen the gap between the steps and then to cut away the part trapping the man’s leg. In total, the process took an agonizing 40 minutes.
After he was pulled out, the old man was rushed to a local Bao’an District hospital for emergency treatment.
The most frightening part of all this? The escalator had passed its yearly inspection only six months ago in December.
But at least the man made it out alive. China’s troubling escalator epidemic began last June when a mother was traveling up an escalator in Hubei when a metal plate suddenly gave in beneath her. She just managed to push her young son to safety before being sucked into the machinery and killed.
Following that high-profile incident, more and more escalator accidents began making national news, already this year, multiple children have been seriously injured or killed when playing unattended near escalators.
But, of course, this incident wasn’t some kid falling down and getting his finger stuck inside an escalator. The escalator’s manufacter has not yet been named, but netizens are already blaming the incident on shoddy domestic standards. In the wake of last year’s epidemic, the Shanghai government carried out an inspection and ordered the “indefinite suspension” of 33 machines in the city alone.
[Images via NetEase]