Now that it’s getting hot outside, blending your favorite fruits and veggies in the morning is the perfect way to cool down. Try out these 4 recipes from Lizzy’s All Natural founder, Elizabeth Schieffelin. She believes that clean, whole foods can be beautifying, energizing, and are always the best form of preventative medicine.
Raw coconut water is one of the most hydrating and beneficial liquids in nature. High in potassium and electrolytes. Coconut water is great for recovering after a hard workout or a late night on the town. Strawberries are high in vitamin C and pineapple is rich in an anti-inflammatory compound. Especially good for travellers who are coming off long flights.
1 freshly cracked, young Thai coconut (around 300ml)
1/2 cup coconut meat scraped from inside the coconut
75g pineapple (peeled and chopped)
50g strawberries (frozen)
70g mango (frozen)
*optional – 4g fresh ginger.
1. Crack the coconut and pour into blender. Scrape out white meat.
2. Add in fruits and blend for 45 seconds, then serve.
This shake is great for athletes or those looking for a meal replacement. Peanut butter is packed with protein and bananas provide carbs and potassium for muscle reparation. Raw cacao (not to be confused with cocoa powder) is one of nature’s most potent forms of antioxidants. Sprinkle in flax or chia seeds for an omega 3 boost.
200ml almond milk (can substitute for cashew or soy milk)
10ml (1 spoonful) peanut butter
5ml cacao powder
10ml maple syrup
1/2 cup ice
*optional – flax or chia seeds.
1. Add nut milk base. Banana and spinach. Blend for 30 seconds on high.
2. Add in peanut butter. Cacao and maple and blend once again for 30 seconds, add in ice. Blend for 20 more seconds, then serve.
Tangy, wholesome and full of health benefits. This blend is a perfect start to anyone’s day. Yoghurt contains probiotics, which promote gut health, plus the anti-ageing berry combo will beautify your skin and hair. Oats provide fiber and help to keep blood sugar balanced.
1/2 cup nonfat plain yoghurt
100ml apple juice
5g rolled oats
*optional – pinch of stevia or 5ml maple syrup to sweeten.
1. Add yoghurt and apple juice base to the blender, followed by berries. Blend on high for 45 seconds.
2. Add in rolled oats and blend for an additional 30 seconds, then serve.
A sweeter, more refreshing alternative to a green smoothie. This is a great blend for those looking to build strength after a workout, or use as a meal replacement. Almond milk is great for heart health and with avocado a source of good fat that boosts your brainpower, and keeps you feeling full for longer.
200ml almond milk
1/4 medium ripe avocado
1 medium bunch of kale
1 banana (frozen)
1 Medjool date (pitted and soaked)
1/2 cup ice.
1. Soak the date in water for 10-20 minutes.
2. Pour freshly made almond milk base then add in kale. Blend 30 seconds.
3. Add in the pitted, soaked date, avocado and banana. Blend 45 seconds.
4. Add in ice and blend for 20 seconds, then serve.
Lizzy’s All Natural is available at Kate & Kimi. Enjoy free delivery for orders of 200 RMB or more across Shanghai 7-days per week. Call 021-61671620 or email [email protected] to ask for more information.