As you might know, driving in China can get a bit crazy. In a country that is bearing down on 1.4 billion in population, there are of course a few individuals who aren’t exactly experts behind the wheel. Here are ten very good reasons from this year to stay off the roads.
10) Angry Shanghai residents throw eggs and ink at Porsche blocking entrance to their neighborhood
After 14 hours of some Porsche blocking the entrance to their neighborhood, Shanghai residents had finally had enough, deciding to take some very messy revenge with eggs, instant noodles, ink and paint.
9) Woman fails to stop her 3 million yuan Bentley from rolling straight into wall
Earlier this month, surveillance footage from a parking lot in Chongqing captured the moment when one Bentley driver realized she had made a terrible, terrible mistake.
8) Man tries to save on shipping costs by packing 20 pigs in his own van, they squeal on him to police
While Chinese police may soon be getting futuristic patrol cars with face scanning technology, there is simply no replacement for good, old-fashioned police work, like keeping your ears open for the squeals of pigs in distress.
7) Taxi driver says screw it, tries to floor it through wet cement
Sometimes you just gotta say, “What the fuck!”
6) Seconds into her road test, confused Changsha woman drives straight into a wall
Despite acing the written portion of China’s grueling road test, a Changsha-native mixed up the brake and accelerator, sending her training vehicle crashing straight through a wall seconds into her driving test. She did not receive her license.
5) Bus pulled over for flying down the highway minus one wheel
Vigilant police stopped the bus on the Shanghai-Kunming expressway in March. An officer then escorted the driver outside to see exactly what he had forgotten.
4) Wenzhou driver makes a splash after accidentally driving into a lake while trying to retrieve phone
Don’t drink and drive, don’t text and drive and certainly do not ever drive while trying to pick up your phone when you’ve dropped it under the seat. Otherwise, you’ll end up in the nearest lake calling out for help as you slowly sink into the water.
3) Chinese tourists lead San Diego police on freeway chase, didn’t know they were supposed to pull over
Afterward, officers patiently explained to the Chinese family about the American custom of pulling over when a cop car flashes its lights behind you.
2) Toddler takes toy car the wrong way up a busy road, gets saved by cop
A nail-biting video went viral on the Chinese internet in November showing a toddler taking his toy car out for a joy ride on a very real road.
1) Crowd cheers as angry driver smashes her Land Rover into Jaguar blocking her way
Fed up with waiting for a Jag owner to return, a woman took out her frustration on the man’s car. Smashing into it no less than six times, with pedestrians on the street helpfully directing her, showing her exactly where to slam for maximum impact and urging her to “smash harder!” Meanwhile, a policeman looked on.
WE LEAVE YOU WITH THIS…
Check out last year’s top moments here.