Once again, more Chinese tourists than ever traveled overseas this year. Unfortunately, some of them weren’t exactly on their best behavior. Check out the ten travelers that did the most to hurt China’s image abroad in 2016.
10) Two Chinese tourists caught peeing in Sydney’s Royal Botanic Gardens, one tries to resist arrest
Back in November, Sydney police had a run in with two Chinese tourists after catching them taking a piss on the city’s Royal Botanic Gardens. That encounter ended with one of the visitors flat on the ground in handcuffs.
9) Parents gleefully film their out of control kids breaking a piece of art at Shanghai museum
A couple of mommy’s little angels were caught on tape tearing apart a piece of artwork at a Shanghai museum in May. What’s more, their parents were also caught on camera, filming their kids’ act of destruction with a smile.
8) Chinese tourists in Japan climb cherry trees for pictures, get ridiculed on Japanese news
Back in April, Chinese visitors were photographed climbing Japan’s iconic cherry trees, grabbing branches and just generally causing mayhem as broken blossoms rained down from above, all in the blind pursuit of snapping some pretty pictures.
7) Chinese tourists trash Jeju airport departure hall with ungodly amount of packaging from duty-free purchases
This year, South Korea’s resort island of Jeju was ground zero for the wrath of misbehaving Chinese tourists. Even when leaving the island, mainland visitors caused trouble, leaving behind a completely insane amount of wrapping paper and packaging from their duty-free purchases on the airport floor.
6) Chinese tourists apologize after being caught stealing a toilet seat from Japanese hotel
Two Chinese tourists were forced to apologize after being caught trying to take a little souvenir back with them from their trip to Japan — a hotel room toilet seat that they had discovered underneath their bed. The travelers later claimed they had believed that the seat had been left there by the room’s previous occupant.
5) Chinese passenger opens plane’s emergency door to ‘get some fresh air’ while waiting for takeoff
While a China Southern Airlines plane was awaiting takeoff in March, one of the passengers thought it was getting a little stuffy inside the cabin and decided to just go ahead and crack the emergency exit for a bit.
4) Suspected mainland woman takes a dump right on the floor inside Hong Kong’s MTR
A Hong Kong man surnamed Wong snapped some pictures inside the Tsim Sha Tsui Station of a woman squatting down and taking a shit surrounded by shocked subway commuters. Wong said that he suspected the woman and her companion were from the mainland because they spoke to each other in Mandarin.
3) Granny lets little girl pee right on airplane cabin floor during flight to Beijing
A fellow passenger said that the little girl announced her need to go potty. However, rather than escort her to the toilet, the granny simply took down the girl’s pants. A few second later, passengers were horrified to hear a tinkling sound as the girl urinated on the floor.
2) Chinese tourists criticized after video of them shoveling food with plates at buffet in Thailand goes viral
A video starring a group of frenzied Chinese tourists using plates as shovels to gather shrimp at a hotel buffet in Thailand went viral back in March, seeming to confirm everyone’s worst stereotypes about Chinese tourists.
1) Shanghai Disneyland gets trashed by thousands of tourists before it actually opens
With still a month to go before it actually opened, Shanghai Disneyland was swarmed over the May Day holiday by more than 100,000 tourists who administered a helpful shock test of the madness to come.
WE LEAVE YOU WITH THIS…
Check out last year’s top moments here.