Everyone needs a hero, so here are China’s top ten of 2016.
10) Claw machine master grabs over 3,000 dolls in six months, arcade owners beg him to stop
For all of us who have lost countless quantities of quarters to the bullshit that is the claw machine comes Chen Zhitong to exact some much-needed revenge on arcade owners.
9) Disgusted young man steals sleeping guy’s shoes at airport, throws them in the trash
Just when things look the darkest, a hero often emerges to stand up for us all, but can a hero go too far?
8) World’s greatest girlfriend treks through flooded street with boyfriend on her back to save his leather shoes
She’s a keeper. Him on the other hand…
7) Heroic delivery man takes down armed robber with his kung fu skills
A robber thought he had got away clean after stealing a woman’s gold necklace on the street; however, he wasn’t counting on the presence of a nearby kung fu master, cleverly disguised as a simple delivery man.
6) Toddler defends grandmother from chengguan by brandishing metal pipe
Back in April, a video went viral on the Chinese internet showing one brave toddler standing up for his grandmother, defending her from the authorities through brute force, sheer intimidation and a long metal pole.
5) First Chinese student to deliver Harvard commencement speech talks about getting bit by a spider
In front of 32,000 people, including students, professors, staff and Stephen Spielberg, the first Chinese student to speak at Harvard’s commencement ceremony talked about getting a spider bite as a kid — or rather what happened afterwards.
4) Filial son takes his paralyzed father with him to university
“My dad took care of me. Now that he’s ill, I can’t just leave him behind,” Zhao Delong said, explaining his decision to take his father with him to school earlier this year.
3) Hero has stopped over 300 people from throwing themselves off Nanjing bridge in last 13 years
Nanjing’s Yangtze River Bridge has been one of the world’s most popular suicide spots. In the past, we’ve covered a couple brave bus drivers that have saved jumpers, but one man named Chen Si has been volunteering on the bridge every weekend for the past 13 years. Over that time, he has saved more than 300 lives.
2) Chinese auntie goes on epic rant against unruly Chinese tourists in Thailand
“They’ve got sharks here in the Thai sea. Fuck. We’ll throw a few of you out there in the sea to feed the sharks and we’ll see if you guys start behaving,” one Chinese auntie threatened her fellow compatriots in the year’s best viral rant.
1) Chongqing man jumps into river fully clothed to save drowning kid, casually walks home soaking wet in the cold
“Quick, take the boy back to change his clothes before he catches a cold, what’s a mobile phone worth compared to a life anyway?” was the only sentence uttered by the mysterious rescuer once back on shore.
WE LEAVE YOU WITH THIS…
Check out last year’s top moments here.