We at Shanghaiiist never cease to be amazed by the crazy contraptions that China’s laobaixing are able to whip up out of thin air. Check out our ten favorites from last year.
10) Dude builds his own insane bullet-shaped vehicle, police tell him never to drive it on the road again
Back in February, an obviously inventive man from Nanchong city in Sichuan province built a vehicle that… well, umm, how the hell do we describe this? Not roadworthy?
9) Henan art teacher builds his very own RoboCop
Presumably to help clean up the mean streets of Zhengzhou, a local art teacher managed to build one pretty darn intimating robotic contraption made from mostly steel and scrap automobile parts. There is no escape.
8) Gundams made from crab shells go viral online, just in time for hairy crab season in Shanghai
Remember the woman who offered her crab-peeling services on Taobao? Well, we think we know where those shells ended up.
7) Farmer spends 30 years building his ‘family’ of 63 creative robots
For the past 30 years, a farmer from Beijing has been busy developing a gigantic “family” of robots. Wu Yulu’s home now hosts more than 60 functional robots all with a unique ability. Talk about planning for retirement.
6) Hebei dude builds his own helicopter, capable of hitting a top speed of 200 km per hour
31-year-old Xie Baogang from Hubei province designed and created his very own helicopter (or at least helicopter-like aircraft. His DIY chopper can reach a top speed of 200km per hour an fly an incredible 400km.
5) Cool dad builds (almost) fully functional tank for his son’s school
Tanks a lot, dad?
4) Anhui villager builds his own submarine for just 5,000 yuan
Meet Zhang Shenwu, a villager from outside of Ma’anshan city in Anhui. With just 5,000 yuan, he built a freaking submarine in only two months time, working on it for hours each evening. He says he was inspired by something he saw on TV.
3) Hong Kong dude makes his own Scarlett Johansson robot
A 42-year-old Hong Kong man has fulfilled his dream by building himself a robot from scratch… that happens to look a whole lot like Scarlett Johansson. Yeah…
2) Shanghai senior invents evacuation slide that takes residents 26 floors in 90 seconds during an emergency
Zhou Miaorong, 70-something, has figured out a childish yet practical way to help seniors living in China’s occasionally combustible high-rises: A slide!
1) Student invents breathing device to ward off secondhand smoke from his roommates
Fed up with the secondhand smoke in his dorm room, a university student in Nanning invented a device so that he could study til his heart’s content while his roommates puffed away. This is what happens when you’re too shy to ask your roommates to go smoke outside.
WE LEAVE YOU WITH THIS…
Check out last year’s top moments here.